Devalue Thailand baht

Devalue Thailand baht

Postby raypattaya on Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:51 am

I AM A BRITISH EXPAT LIVING IN THAILAND.THE BRITISH POUND HAS DROPPED TO 49 TO 1 POUND,A REDUCTION OF 25/35% OVER SEVERAL YEARS.
I WOULD LIKE THE THAI GOVERNMENT TO DEVALUE THE THAI BAHT BY AT LEAST 10%.IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN MANY EXPATS WILL LEAVE THAILAND.THE EXPATS ARE SPENDING LESS AND NOT BUYING PROPERTY ETC.
A DEVALUATION WILL KEEP THE EXPATS HERE AND STIMULATE THE THAI ECONOMY.
raypattaya

Re: DEVALUE THAILAND BAHT

Postby pwilliams960 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:35 pm

It was decided that the baht be placed on a floating exchange rate which halved its value, to its lowest rate of 56:1 in January 1998.
pwilliams960

Postby GORDON on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 pm

TheThai baht has to weaken in value and the only person who can,t see that is the rich *itch who controls T.B.T. She lives in her ivory tower and has no contact with reality, she does not live in the real world alongside real people, with real day to day concerns. Her and her Bkk elite need an urgent wake up call. It is not just the outward flow of investment she needs to be concerned about, but the refusal of investers to come here when the too strong Baht makes it so expensive. She should also be concerning herself with exports, 70% of Thailands earnings come from the things she sells abroad. How can she sell, when the goods are so much dearer than her competers. Just rice for example, one of Thailands largest export commodaties, Vietnam can sell white rice for around 17% less. even Cambodia sells for a great deal less. No wonder the authorities tried to stop imports from there. Tourism makes up the remaing 30% of Thailands income, again for the same reasons Thailand is making herself too expensive a place to holiday. There are so many cheaper alternatives with similar to offer holidaymakers. I personaly know people who are having to sell their cattle for a quarter of what they were worth 6 months ago, it has become so expensive to feed them now. Does the B.O.T. boss know, does she even care.******* :( :? :roll: :!: :?: :idea:
GORDON

Postby villager on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 pm

[quote="GORDON"]TheThai baht has to weaken in value and the only person who can,t see that is the rich *itch who controls T.B.T. She lives in her ivory tower and has no contact with reality, she does not live in the real world alongside real people, with real day to day concerns. Her and her Bkk elite need an urgent wake up call. It is not just the outward flow of investment she needs to be concerned about, but the refusal of investers to come here when the too strong Baht makes it so expensive. She should also be concerning herself with exports, 70% of Thailands earnings come from the things she sells abroad. How can she sell, when the goods are so much dearer than her competers. Just rice for example, one of Thailands largest export commodaties, Vietnam can sell white rice for around 17% less. even Cambodia sells for a great deal less. No wonder the authorities tried to stop imports from there. Tourism makes up the remaing 30% of Thailands income, again for the same reasons Thailand is making herself too expensive a place to holiday. There are so many cheaper alternatives with similar to offer holidaymakers. I personaly know people who are having to sell their cattle for a quarter of what they were worth 6 months ago, it has become so expensive to feed them now. Does the B.O.T. boss know, does she even care.******* :( :? :roll: :!: :?: :idea:[/quote) A sound summing up of the problems facing Thailand Gordon, However sad to to say it will fall on deaf ears, much to our mutual dismay.
villager

Postby Ian on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:06 pm

villager wrote:
GORDON wrote:TheThai baht has to weaken in value and the only person who can,t see that is the rich *itch who controls T.B.T. She lives in her ivory tower and has no contact with reality, she does not live in the real world alongside real people, with real day to day concerns. Her and her Bkk elite need an urgent wake up call. It is not just the outward flow of investment she needs to be concerned about, but the refusal of investers to come here when the too strong Baht makes it so expensive. She should also be concerning herself with exports, 70% of Thailands earnings come from the things she sells abroad. How can she sell, when the goods are so much dearer than her competers. Just rice for example, one of Thailands largest export commodaties, Vietnam can sell white rice for around 17% less. even Cambodia sells for a great deal less. No wonder the authorities tried to stop imports from there. Tourism makes up the remaing 30% of Thailands income, again for the same reasons Thailand is making herself too expensive a place to holiday. There are so many cheaper alternatives with similar to offer holidaymakers. I personaly know people who are having to sell their cattle for a quarter of what they were worth 6 months ago, it has become so expensive to feed them now. Does the B.O.T. boss know, does she even care.******* :( :? :roll: :!: :?: :idea:[/quote) A sound summing up of the problems facing Thailand Gordon, However sad to to say it will fall on deaf ears, much to our mutual dismay.

You are forgetting that if the baht devalued all the rich elite that you support would become poorer. The poor bastards already lost a lot when their overseas bank accounts crashed, surely you would not want them to become even poorer? :cheers:
Ian

Postby villager on Fri May 01, 2009 6:17 am

Ian wrote:
villager wrote:
GORDON wrote:TheThai baht has to weaken in value and the only person who can,t see that is the rich *itch who controls T.B.T. She lives in her ivory tower and has no contact with reality, she does not live in the real world alongside real people, with real day to day concerns. Her and her Bkk elite need an urgent wake up call. It is not just the outward flow of investment she needs to be concerned about, but the refusal of investers to come here when the too strong Baht makes it so expensive. She should also be concerning herself with exports, 70% of Thailands earnings come from the things she sells abroad. How can she sell, when the goods are so much dearer than her competers. Just rice for example, one of Thailands largest export commodaties, Vietnam can sell white rice for around 17% less. even Cambodia sells for a great deal less. No wonder the authorities tried to stop imports from there. Tourism makes up the remaing 30% of Thailands income, again for the same reasons Thailand is making herself too expensive a place to holiday. There are so many cheaper alternatives with similar to offer holidaymakers. I personaly know people who are having to sell their cattle for a quarter of what they were worth 6 months ago, it has become so expensive to feed them now. Does the B.O.T. boss know, does she even care.******* :( :? :roll: :!: :?: :idea:[/quote) A sound summing up of the problems facing Thailand Gordon, However sad to to say it will fall on deaf ears, much to our mutual dismay.

You are forgetting that if the baht devalued all the rich elite that you support would become poorer. The poor bastards already lost a lot when their overseas bank accounts crashed, surely you would not want them to become even poorer? :cheers:

Hey Ian, me support the rich elite? LOL, do you not recall my "snouts in the trough" post a short while ago which you commented on at the time,maybe you have forgotten that one eh.
villager

Postby Sean Moran on Fri May 01, 2009 6:43 am

pwilliams960 wrote:It was decided that the baht be placed on a floating exchange rate which halved its value, to its lowest rate of 56:1 in January 1998.

Would that not have been likely to have seen a corresponding increase in the export price per ton of jasmine rice? :roll:
Sean Moran

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm

raypattaya wrote:I AM A BRITISH EXPAT LIVING IN THAILAND.THE BRITISH POUND HAS DROPPED TO 49 TO 1 POUND,A REDUCTION OF 25/35% OVER SEVERAL YEARS.
I WOULD LIKE THE THAI GOVERNMENT TO DEVALUE THE THAI BAHT BY AT LEAST 10%.IF THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN MANY EXPATS WILL LEAVE THAILAND.THE EXPATS ARE SPENDING LESS AND NOT BUYING PROPERTY ETC.

This post appears to be rather arrogant at best, and non thinking at least, those that play the money markets (legalised gambling) must accept the falls as quickly as they accept the rises, bloody leaches. :evil: :shock:
stilljustbrowsing

Postby villager on Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 am

stilljustbrowsing wrote:
raypattaya wrote:I AM A BRITISH EXPAT LIVING IN THAILAND.THE BRITISH POUND HAS DROPPED TO 49 TO 1 POUND,A REDUCTION OF 25/35% OVER SEVERAL YEARS.

This post appears to be rather arrogant at best, and non thinking at least, those that play the money markets (legalised gambling) must accept the falls as quickly as they accept the rises, bloody leaches. :evil: :shock:

Hi SJB, I don,t think your statement is quite fair, I happen to know 4 OAP,S here 3 Brits and an Aussy , their sole incomes are their OAP,s, they don,t play anything cos ain,t got the money, and due to the strength of the baht have seen their spending power reduced by about 20% over the last few years.
villager

Postby GORDON on Sat May 02, 2009 5:16 am

Hey JSB - Never mind the rich folk, they will ride this out. What about the poorer Thais who are losing their already poorly paid jobs because of the high Baht. I guess I am one of the lucky pensioners who can ride this out, not well, but we can make cuts and manage. Not so some of our Thai friends who have just had to sell their cattle as they could no longer afford to feed them. He was too proud to ask for help cutting grass to suppliment their diet , he was recently grounded by one of bulls and sustained some injury.This family had to sell for considerably less than the cattle were worth 6 months ago. The bull in question cost him about 50,000 and was sold for 18,000 baht. There are many Thai people suffering at the moment, from the lack of tourists and the reluctance of people to invest in Thailand because it it too expensive. Exporters are suffering too, so be prepared to see more layoffs if the Baht does not weaken significantly soon. What about all the casual labour laid off from building work, these are not included in any figures. What about all the taxi drivers without customers, the bars,the girls, the resteraunts and shops.All these need the money sloshing around the system to survive, these figures are never included. All this has nothing to do with people who gambled on any markets, we are concerned with ordinary folk who need money to survive, eat and raise their families :!: :?: remember welfare does not exist here.
GORDON

Next

Return to Thai business news