Baht too strong - urgently needs freedom to float

Re: Baht too strong - urgently needs freedom to float

Postby Sean Moran on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:05 am

by villager on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:25 am [125.26.106.xx]
i find my moneys go,s further here , and i take great comfort in know that i can walk out and leave my front door open for hours on end without worrying about someone entering and stealing my property ,which was a total impossibility where I lived in the UK.

Oh the reality! That's nice to hear. Remember that if you are going to start comparing the good old days 12 months ago when the AUD was peaking at 33 baht, you'd better do yourself a favour and take your mind back to the bad old days 12 yers ago when the AUD was buying 20 baht. Anyone who sat back and laughed about the Asian currency crisis in 1997, don't expect anyone to help you out now because you already set the ground rules and now you can see how it feels to be on the other side. You brought this on yourself! You brought it on yourself! He-he-he, ha-ha-ha, ho-ho-ho!
Sean Moran

Postby villager on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:55 am

Sean Moran wrote:
by villager on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:25 am [125.26.106.xx]
i find my moneys go,s further here , and i take great comfort in know that i can walk out and leave my front door open for hours on end without worrying about someone entering and stealing my property ,which was a total impossibility where I lived in the UK.

Oh the reality! That's nice to hear. Remember that if you are going to start comparing the good old days 12 months ago when the AUD was peaking at 33 baht, you'd better do yourself a favour and take your mind back to the bad old days 12 yers ago when the AUD was buying 20 baht. Anyone who sat back and laughed about the Asian currency crisis in 1997, don't expect anyone to help you out now because you already set the ground rules and now you can see how it feels to be on the other side. You brought this on yourself! You brought it on yourself! He-he-he, ha-ha-ha, ho-ho-ho!
Ah Well Sean , i suppose it could be far worse eh , the scenario of parity 1 baht for one Aussy Dollar which you yourself put forward as a good idea ,could well prove the death knell for Aussy pensioners living here, and indeed Aussy Tourism too, and it is so gratifying for me that you get so much enjoyment out of the predicaments of others, so i just suppose i,ll have to struggle on with my 2 pensions and 2 rented property's back home with the Miserly sum of 68,000 baht a month until things get better won,t I,He,he,he,ha,ha,ha,ho,ho,ho.
villager

Postby Dtaling on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:41 am

If the baht is kept artificially strong , there has to be a cost for this maneuver ; this cost has to be counterbalanced by very strong advantages . In my country - France - we have in the past witnessed many currency manipulations before it joined the euro zone - this joining is one of the rare pluses of belonging to the " big jellyfish " . Each Franc manipulation - the other way , meant to try and prevent davaluation by denying market's logic , emptied the country's coffers ... with always the same result , devaluation . My point is : let markets act , exports , tourism , foreign residents , and THAILAND will benefit . Yes, it would hurt to see assets diminish in value , but ...
Dtaling

Postby Sean Moran on Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:20 am

villager wrote:Ah Well Sean , i suppose it could be far worse eh , the scenario of parity 1 baht for one Aussy Dollar which you yourself put forward as a good idea ,could well prove the death knell for Aussy pensioners living here, and indeed Aussy Tourism too, and it is so gratifying for me that you get so much enjoyment out of the predicaments of others, so i just suppose i,ll have to struggle on with my 2 pensions and 2 rented property's back home with the Miserly sum of 68,000 baht a month until things get better won,t I,He,he,he,ha,ha,ha,ho,ho,ho.

Oh dear. You do realise that some of your servants are going to have to be dismissed now, don't you? You might even have to get a job yourself rather than have to live on such a meagre pittance as ten times the average Thai monthly salary. Oh how my heart bleeds for you. All this fairness is JUST NOT FAIR ON THE BRITISH and we demand action now! :cry:

Hey! Here's an idea. Why don't you just top some old codger who's on his last legs anyway and then steal his identity and you could have three pensions and maybe even another rental as well, depending on how you play your cards! :lol:
Sean Moran

Postby villager on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:40 am

Hi Sean, i,m so touched about your concern for my welfare , yeah its a real struggle to manage here in my little enclave on such a paltry sum per month, no doubt you are aware that i,ve had to make sacrifices above and beyond the call of duty , hopefully my ordeal should be over come May or June as a Supermarket chain has made an offer for a parcel of land i,ve been sitting on the the last 8 years or so, i,ll be giving instructions to my lawyers who are handling the deal shortly , the sum involved is quite considerable so i,ll be able to "live it up" a little,instead of this constant striving just to survive.
villager

Postby Ian on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:25 pm

villager wrote:Thanks for the inspirational Ian, I,ve every intention to "hang on in there" and even with the strong Baht i find my moneys go,s further here , and i take great comfort in know that i can walk out and leave my front door open for hours on end without worrying about someone entering and stealing my property ,which was a total impossibility where I lived in the UK.

Interestingly that is the reverse for me. In England I never lock my doors and leave tools and machinery ///// around in my garden.

In Thailand I have had to buy chains and padlocks after having a ladder and a bicycle stolen.
Ian

Postby Sean Moran on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Ian wrote:
villager wrote:Thanks for the inspirational Ian, I,ve every intention to "hang on in there" and even with the strong Baht i find my moneys go,s further here , and i take great comfort in know that i can walk out and leave my front door open for hours on end without worrying about someone entering and stealing my property ,which was a total impossibility where I lived in the UK.

Interestingly that is the reverse for me. In England I never lock my doors and leave tools and machinery ///// around in my garden.

In Thailand I have had to buy chains and padlocks after having a ladder and a bicycle stolen.

Let go those binds that hold you!
:cheers:
Sean Moran

Postby villager on Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Ian, where i used to live in the UK ( Manchester) crime was in epidemic proportions, anything what was not "nailed down" was quickly "lifted" , funny story ,there was a liberal club quite near to my home , a guy left his almost new Vauxhaul Astra van quite nearby and took a Taxi home cos he was over the limit , he returned the following morning to find his Sat Nav and disc player gone, his van was left on bricks and all the wheels missing , but the iceing on the cake was that they had removed the engine and gearbox too!!, i spoke to a guy who worked at a free fit clutch garage who informed me anyone with the right tools and knowledge could take the engine and box out in 45 minutes, evidently they must have had both!!, as far as my little village here i,ve never had any problems whatsoever since in came here in April 04, maybe i,m just lucky eh.
villager

Postby Sean Moran on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:01 pm

villager wrote:Hi Ian, where i used to live in the UK ( Manchester) crime was in epidemic proportions, anything what was not "nailed down" was quickly "lifted" , funny story ,there was a liberal club quite near to my home , a guy left his almost new Vauxhaul Astra van quite nearby and took a Taxi home cos he was over the limit , he returned the following morning to find his Sat Nav and disc player gone, his van was left on bricks and all the wheels missing , but the iceing on the cake was that they had removed the engine and gearbox too!!, i spoke to a guy who worked at a free fit clutch garage who informed me anyone with the right tools and knowledge could take the engine and box out in 45 minutes, evidently they must have had both!!, as far as my little village here i,ve never had any problems whatsoever since in came here in April 04, maybe i,m just lucky eh.

Vauxhall no longer deals in Thailand. :lol:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1 ... yong-plant
Sean Moran

Postby sabironlineus on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm

The Thai currency is likely to become weaker against the US dollar and could fall by as much as 5.6% by the end of 2009. A currency expert forecast the Thai Baht, which as of February 4 traded at 34.95 per dollar, will slide to 36 by the end of June, and 37 by the end of the year. The year 2008 saw the Thai currency plummet 15%, securing a third-worst spot amongst Asia's 10 most active currencies against the US dollar. Despite the Thai government's plan to spend billions of baht to spur growth, the political instability, which culminated in the closure of Bangkok's two international airports late last year, sent business sentiment to a record low. Thailand's current account will likely be in a deficit this year as overseas investment slows down, exports dry up, and the government's spending climbs through the roof.
sabironlineus

PreviousNext

Return to Thai business news