Choosing cheap Chinese Products over Thai jobs

Re: Choosing cheap Chinese Products over Thai jobs

Postby drake on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm

needchange wrote:Some think it's a good idea to have nuclear power. North Korean is the perfect model for that I guess then. A country with nuclear expertise whose people are living in the stone age. Having nuclear tech doesn't mean a darn thing. Lets hope that Thailand's neighbors don't have any accidents as that would basically kill off all of southeast asia. Let's just home the tech is more advanced and those monitoring the plants have higher quality standards than those at Chernobyl.

Thailand do need more electricity right now and it has got to come from somewhere.
If you can suggest something else that can provide a several Gigawatts of power in a comparable package I'm all ears.
No experimental technology, please.

NoKo's nuclear program is all about making bombs and is entirely a different animal than nuke for electricity generation.
It involves uranium fuel manufacturing (extraction/enrichment/fabrication) as well as having breeder reactor(s) to generate plutonium from the uranium fuel and facility to extract plutonium from the spent fuel rods so it can be turned in to a bomb.
Each of the element of this program is expensive and that's why the people of NoKo are still living in the stone age.
It is not a venture that I would suggest Thailand getting itself in to at all.
Gold plated programs like the blimp, the submarines, and the stupid (what) bomb detectors are bad enough.
drake

Postby needchange on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:57 am

I definitely agree that most of the world needs power. Buclear power is an option. I just would hate to here of an accident. If it affected a neighbor there would probably be war. The safety just has to be there. I'm up for all options in terms of power. Solar and wind may have some merit but will never offer so much power as other ideas. I don't know the solution. If these nations can maintain nuclear power then why shouldn't they be trusted with nuclear weapons for their protection too. For me it's all about trust and responsibility.

Personally the worldwide power problems and the most of the rest of the world problems will be resolved if we reduced overall world population and allowed for more immigration and migration. I'm all for smaller families, more education and worldwide changes for a better world. The idea of endlessness in terms of population is just bs in my opinion. To put it simply the world is apathetic to this obvious solution. The roaring capitialists and religious nutters come out with fire whenever this peaceful solution is brought up. It's taboo plain and simple to suggested that people should have few babies worldwide and for more migration. Anyways that's my opinion on this.

I hope someone will continue this thread but at the moment I am quite bored with things so I will not post further on this. I'm also bored that the newspaper likes to delete posts it deems unfit in some political way. This doesn't relate to this thread but other threads. Thailand is not the land of free expression.
needchange

Postby Northman061 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:21 am

After reading the many well informed comments on the previous posts, i offer these points.

Thailand has, is and seems to be only concerned with keeping business in Thai hands. It shuns allowing Non Thai businesses bidding for "National" contracts (ie 3G, Satellite TV etc). It is like saying, "we can do everything", when time and time again all they do is prove they cannot and it comes late and costs thais more!! Also the Thai Elites are not concerned with the quality of the product or service the offer, for when the only other choice is small and also Thai, what can people do.

The idea of Thailand with Nuclear power frightens me. it really does. The TRILLIONS of baht needed to plan, run and control such a site is beyond comprehension in a nation that cannot yet provide economic and development plans for a year or two ahead due to the unstable political scene and growingly undemocratic pushes of the Military. All outside agencies that monitor these things see a more "closed" society and difficult "undemocratic" times ahead, soon Thailand will only have Mayanmar beneath it when it comes to rankings in asian economies.

Can you imagine how much money would be "diverted" in bribes for a Nuclear plant? Can you imagine the overspend and how late the construction would be? The cost expected by the Millionaire Generals in stationing troops 24/7 on site would be astronomical. And then there is the fact Thais would be manning, running and actually in control of it!!!

Need i say more?
Northman061

Postby drake on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 am

Northman061 wrote:Need i say more?

NOOO, the children are having nightmares already !
:lol:

Allright.
Gas or Lignite then......
drake

Postby Voice on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:06 pm

Hello drake, sorry for late reply I’ve been too busy lately. I am glad that you enjoying Thai economy. But how many Thai factories have robot to do the work? While Chinese economy still uses lots of cheap labour to keep their economies running. What would happen if the world stop using people and all turn to robot only there won’t be any consumer left to buy good that were produces so what you think is going to happen?

Quote “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
The leadership for this country, and I'm being overly generous with that word, are without a clue.
They are stuck in a box, a very small box.
They shuns new ideas and concepts.
Most of them can't think of anything beyond their own gains.
Sacrifice and service, that is just hollow propaganda for someone else.

I have to agree with you there about the leader of our country. They just don’t know anything else apart from learning to counting the money from corrupting agenda, that all they good at.

As I said before Thailand should invest more in its own people.
Voice

Postby prajna on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:26 am

Chinese producers and Thai importers easily push Chinese-made products in Thai consumers' hands because local customers are price sensitive. This is not unique to Thailand though. Chinese goods have global presence. I see this happens all over the world. In Africa, for example, Chinese salesmen and saleswomen hawk cheap Chinese-made drugs in marché (open-air market) stalls. It's even more fascinating to witness also that these Chinese merchants indeed speak their customers' languages.

For those who are familiar with Wal-Mart, why do you think the stores all over the U.S. are doing so well with the low priced marketing campaign selling Made-in-China imports?

China's economic supremacy is an understatement. Unfortunately, Chinese-made merchandize is a synonym of products that are known for being shoddy, unsafe, toxic, prone to recalls, dangerous, faulty, tainted and poorly designed. Some developed countries with well established regulatory government agencies can flex political and legal muscles to wrestle with their Chinese counterparts. One case in point is the recent opening of a U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission office in the People's Republic of China. It's aimed at improving manufacturing practices in China to meet American product safety standards. Similarly, France prevents Chinese-made contraband from entering the country by setting up traffic stops along major border checkpoints.

So I agree with all the previous posted comments. Adding my two-cents is "what else can you do?" I personally don't want to fight 1.3 billion Chinese.
prajna

Postby drake on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 am

prajna wrote:So I agree with all the previous posted comments. Adding my two-cents is "what else can you do?" I personally don't want to fight 1.3 billion Chinese.

No need to do anything really, the Chinese will implode momentarily.
With roughly a million newly minted 'unemployed' showing up every month, something will eventually give.
drake

Postby vac on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 pm

I may sound our of tune but I believe Thailand produces a lot of things of quality.
Low quality stuff is produced because it has to be cheap, low income cannot afford high price goods.
The problem with Thai companies is that they do not know how to export. They sit in their offices and wait for customers to come round and buy, sometimes they open their window hoping these will fly in. In desperation they organize a treade delegation with DEP which is a nice way to have a governement subsidized trip to Europe and the USA.
Thailand never had a real governement in the last 60+ years. This is the real problem. If they governement really helped exporters, quality would improve through competion in the world market but it is easier to impose a tariff and making sure that your mate from Chula has a nice profit by selling crap locally.
New entrepreneurs are difficult to find, how can they start ? No capital and no help. There is teh risk that a new entrepreneurs encroaches the nice profit from that same mate from Chula.
The problems of the Thai economy run deep in society. For the PRC it was easy, one party rule, provided the party became rich you could do what you wanted. And certainly no risk of people taking it to the streets .... (Tiennamen docet).
You can find a very good book (Thai Capital) on who actually runs the economy here.
vac

Postby triptrip on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm

prajna wrote:Unfortunately, Chinese-made merchandize is a synonym of products that are known for being shoddy, unsafe, toxic, prone to recalls, dangerous, faulty, tainted and poorly designed. .

Not exactly true. The computer and keyboard you are using to type your comments are most likely Chinese made. It may be designed and developed in the US or somewhere but definately assembled in China.

iphone, blackberry and what not top notch gadgetry we're using are all Chinese made. The Chinese certainly can have top quality stuffs if they want it. Look at the opening/closing ceremony of Olympics 2008.
triptrip

Postby drake on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:17 pm

triptrip wrote:
prajna wrote:Unfortunately, Chinese-made merchandize is a synonym of products that are known for being shoddy, unsafe, toxic, prone to recalls, dangerous, faulty, tainted and poorly designed. .

Not exactly true. The computer and keyboard you are using to type your comments are most likely Chinese made. It may be designed and developed in the US or somewhere but definately assembled in China.

iphone, blackberry and what not top notch gadgetry we're using are all Chinese made. The Chinese certainly can have top quality stuffs if they want it. Look at the opening/closing ceremony of Olympics 2008.

You are absolutely correct.
The problem with "Made In China" is that too large a percentage of Chinese merchandises are simply JUNK because they didn't want to cut in to the profit margin for any reason.
I've once been told by a certain Notebook mfg in Shanghai that they MUST deliver their notbook quota on time even if it blows up the first time the end-user turn it on and they really don't care what the root cause of the problem that they were having was as long as it passes the final test and they were able to give the test log to their US customer.

While the US companies will look down their noses at 40% profit, Chinese companies generally are pleased to make any sales at all at break even (cash in hand, getting rid of their inventory, and pay the bills) and will be more than happy with anything over 5% margin.
Quality merchandise also equates higher cost and potentially lower/slower sales volume.
As such, they don't have a lot of incentive to make quality merchandise.
drake

PreviousNext

Return to Thai business news