Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Re: RE: RE: Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby philhal2 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:51 am

Very little knowledge displayed here . Simple internet search shows requirements for Thai citizenship , 5 years continuous residency , able to speak Thai and have sufficient funds or suitable employment .100 people from each nation are able to apply annually .I guess unless you can have dual citizenship most " FARANGS "would not forgo the benefits of their own homeland , pensions ,embassies etc !!!!!
overhaul38 wrote:
Ian wrote:I've never been completely sure about why exactly this "special" treatment exists.
I''ve never found it in Indonesia - for example - where I used to travel a lot.
Nor in Malaysia. Nor Singapore. Nor in Cambodia, Laos.
I can only compare it to Japanese racism - but Thais have always seemed far less rampantly racist that what one finds in Japan.

It is only a matter of a minor degree.
The prime similarities are:
1. Denial of citizenship. To my knowledge no farang has ever been granted Thai citizenship. Feel free to correct me if I am
wrong.
2. Denial of land ownership.
3. Special pricing at some facilities/markets.
4. Personal reporting requirement every 90 days. I don't know Japan's.
philhal2

Re: Why do ONLY foreigners get special promotion?

Postby panuccino on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:12 am

I honestly dont know about special treatment when it comes to buying a property in Thailand, though I will always be interested in having one to spend the rest of my life (after retirement). Still I dont consider treatment as special as we thought it would be, prices are more expensive for farangs than for thai nationals, and that is absolutely obvious and understandable. Millions and millions of tourists go to Thailand every year, so a good way to retrieve some good ol' money is tourism and farangs. What I do know for sure is that when it comes to buying souvenirs and memoirs of the trip if you try to speak Thai (at least make a good effort) you'll get better prices than even a Thai national... remember this people.
panuccino

Postby Aodsmith99 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Many of the times farang got ripped off by not speaking the native language. This is maybe little incentive for farang .. Haha
Aodsmith99

Postby mutley on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 am

by philhal2 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:51 am

Very little knowledge displayed here . Simple internet search shows requirements for Thai citizenship , 5 years continuous residency , able to speak Thai and have sufficient funds or suitable employment .100 people from each nation are able to apply annually .I guess unless you can have dual citizenship most " FARANGS "would not forgo the benefits of their own homeland , pensions ,embassies etc !!!!!

What you read on the internet bears no relation to what you get at immigration. Nothing is explained, things can change overnight and between officials. I speak Thai reasonably well but when I went to immigration, I spoke Thai to the official and he just got up and walked off. The official next to him turned to me and said, 'He doesn't like 'farangs' who speak Thai'. Very little knowledge philal. Nonsense.
mutley

Postby choonpon on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm

The limosine service at the airport has different rate for foreigners and locals too. If you are thai and destination is not a hotel, the rate is 1000 baht (can even bargain to 800-900 baht). If you are foreigner and going to a hotel, the rate is about 1200 baht.
choonpon

Postby Sydm on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Is Thai people so nasty, rude?
I just joined here, and I just briefly read some posting.
Sydm

Postby Sydm on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm

choonpon wrote:The limosine service at the airport has different rate for foreigners and locals too. If you are thai and destination is not a hotel, the rate is 1000 baht (can even bargain to 800-900 baht). If you are foreigner and going to a hotel, the rate is about 1200 baht.

I see, this is "Special treatment for foreigners" in Bangkok, eh!
What else should I know or pay attention before flying to Bangkok?
Thank you in avdvance.
Sydm

Postby Asianexpat on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm

I visited a Thai Bath House with a local Thai friend. He paid 2800 Baht and I paid 3500 Baht. They said Farangs had to pay more. :roll: None the less I paid.
Asianexpat

Postby Asianexpat on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:28 pm

mutley wrote:
by philhal2 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:51 am

What you read on the internet bears no relation to what you get at immigration. Nothing is explained, things can change overnight and between officials. I speak Thai reasonably well but when I went to immigration, I spoke Thai to the official and he just got up and walked off. The official next to him turned to me and said, 'He doesn't like 'farangs' who speak Thai'. Very little knowledge philal. Nonsense.

That is why here in Asia one of the first question a local will always ask a non-local (foreigner) is how long that person has been in town for and once they know that you have been in town for quite some time and speak the language you will notice that in about 50-80% of their facial expressions and how they deal with you will change then if you told them you had been in town for just 1 week and did not speak the language.
Asianexpat

Postby Asianexpat on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:30 pm

philhal2 wrote:Very little knowledge displayed here . Simple internet search shows requirements for Thai citizenship , 5 years continuous residency , able to speak Thai and have sufficient funds or suitable employment .100 people from each nation are able to apply annually .I guess unless you can have dual citizenship most " FARANGS "would not forgo the benefits of their own homeland , pensions ,embassies etc !!!!!
overhaul38 wrote:
Ian wrote:I've never been completely sure about why exactly this "special" treatment exists.
I''ve never found it in Indonesia - for example - where I used to travel a lot.
Nor in Malaysia. Nor Singapore. Nor in Cambodia, Laos.
I can only compare it to Japanese racism - but Thais have always seemed far less rampantly racist that what one finds in Japan.

It is only a matter of a minor degree.
The prime similarities are:
1. Denial of citizenship. To my knowledge no farang has ever been granted Thai citizenship. Feel free to correct me if I am
wrong.
2. Denial of land ownership.
3. Special pricing at some facilities/markets.
4. Personal reporting requirement every 90 days. I don't know Japan's.

In Taiwan one can not get a local passport without giving up their own local passport and I believe that is the same in Thailand. Odd how the US allows them to keep their own passport while giving them a US passport while the Thais and Taiwanese will not give them a local passport unless they give up their own. Biased or Hypocrisy? :?:
Asianexpat

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns