Re: Farangs Barred From Buying Thai Land

Postby pachangamac042 on Wed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Hey Papa, what about if you paid her a salary for cleaning, cooking, laundry and so on. Would that be proof enough, that the money was hers?

What about lending the money to your gf or wife to buy the house? She could be paying the interests with home works?

What if I give her money for her services, like the above mentioned, and she just decides, that she buys a house and land with her money? I did not give her the money to buy property but for her services.

I could give the money for the house to my mother in law as a marriage payment. My mother in law gives that money to her daughter to buy a house, would everything be fine then?

Hmm, not very convinced with the Land Department Director Anuwat Meteewiboonwut’s statement.
pachangamac042

Postby pachangamac042 on Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 am

Papa, no idea, what this op deleting is about. If they do not like the opening post, why do they not just delete the whole topic? A topic with a deleted op is a bit funny, isn’t it?
pachangamac042

Postby Sean Moran on Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 am

I appreciate the effort that has been taken and I apologise if I seemed a little apprehensive this morning, but when I read the title on the front page (and they say this might be an early sign of schizophrenia) I hear the words "FANGS BARED" and that might have had some influence on my reluctance to become the proxy OP. If I'd thought to quote the original, then that would have been acceptible, but as it was the first reply, I thought it would be a waste of page space.

Now it's okay to argue about again, as lonag as Noaksy doesn't mind the bared fang connotations... :cheers:
Sean Moran

Postby Ian on Thu May 28, 2009 11:56 am

Sean Moran wrote:I appreciate the effort that has been taken and I apologise if I seemed a little apprehensive this morning, but when I read the title on the front page (and they say this might be an early sign of schizophrenia) I hear the words "FANGS BARED" and that might have had some influence on my reluctance to become the proxy OP. If I'd thought to quote the original, then that would have been acceptible, but as it was the first reply, I thought it would be a waste of page space.

Now it's okay to argue about again, as lonag as Noaksy doesn't mind the bared fang connotations... :cheers:

If when the mod deleted a comment he left the message, "commented deleted" it would help us to work out what is happening.
Ian

Postby Sean Moran on Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 pm

If when the mod deleted a comment he left the message, "commented deleted" it would help us to work out what is happening.

There's a lot to consider. We seem to have moved from deleting threads to deleting and editing individual posts which is One Giant Leap but sometimes there might be a good reason to just LOCK some topic that's getting out of hand, and then there's no need to cut&paste all the data into a text file before deleting it, and no need for PMs. It's much easier to complain about a topic that has been locked temporarily until further notice than to have to remember what to whinge about over a topic that has been deleted and can't be restored anyway.

To everything there is a season... :roll:
Sean Moran

Postby Sean Moran on Thu May 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Some might say that it was me who got you into this mess today, so I'll go with whatever you reckon is the best thing. :cheers:
Sean Moran

Postby Sean Moran on Thu May 28, 2009 6:30 pm

It's cool as ... man. :cheers:

I just meant about that proxy OP thing and the "delete thread" option. I'd probably go with the delete option because this isn't the Phuket Gazette and there is a subforum for local ex-pat anecdotes down south, and con-artistry thru marriage isn't exactly the best example of Conducting business in Thailand either. :roll:
Sean Moran

Postby simonantz on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm

I have a lot of my money in Thailand.....but thats going to change now...I guess thailand will be third world for a bit longer with this narrow minded outlook....
simonantz

Farangs Barred From Buying Thai Land

Postby charlie on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:12 pm

I found in Phuket Gazette an official answer through the mouth of the Phuket Provincial Land Officer as below:

QUESTION: How can I legally purchase property for a Thai spouse?
Having read the recent article in the Gazette about foreigners not being allowed to use their spouses to purchase property, [Phuket Gazette, May 31, “Land chief warns foreigners against buying land using Thai nominees”] I’m left wondering how it is possible for me to buy my wife a house here in Thailand? In the country where we were married, the law of the land states that all of the money we have is now “our” money, rather than simply mine or hers. Given this state of affairs and this apparent new legislation, is it now impossible for us to purchase a house in Thailand?
Graham Rance,Singapore/UK Friday, June 5, 2009

ANSWER: A Phuket Provincial Land Officer replies
“As your wife is a Thai national, of course she is able to purchase property here in Thailand. If she has her own account, but doesn’t have the necessary funds, then you cannot use her as a nominee and use your own money. Such an action would see your land title revoked. Should you decide to move forward and purchase a property together using funds from a joint bank account established either inside or outside of the Kingdom, you and your wife will have to sign an agreement stating that the house lawfully belongs to her. In the event of a divorce, you waive all rights to a share of the property. Under Thai law, marrying a Thai national does not grant you an entitlement to property accrued during your marriage. The only way for a foreign national to purchase property in Thailand is to do so under the condominium 40% rule, which allows foreign nationals the right to own a total of two fifths of the floor space of a condominium development. In summary, you and your wife may purchase a house in Thailand, but it can only be registered in her name. Should you divorce, you will be entitled to nothing. For more information on all property-related laws, contact the Phuket Provincial Land Office at 36 Damrong Road, Muang, Phuket 83000. T: 076-212103 F: 076-212103.” Friday, June 5, 2009

PERSONAL COMMENT: Now, questions are:
- Can a foreigner buy an house and/or land through a Thai registered company with a 49% company shares owned by a foreigner? If the answer is no, most of Real Estates in Thailand selling to foreigners land and/or house with that option are totally wrong and foreigners may be in trouble sooner or later.
- Can we put the house and/or land in the name of our Thai Children?
So far nobody answers that important 2 questions :lol:
charlie

Postby Ian on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:14 pm

Too much talk to too little avail, just accept that as a farang you will get hung out to dry in Thailand, it starts with the government and works its way down through the chain to taxis and market stall vendors.
You just have to devise strategies to avoid being taken for too much, you will never avoid all. If you can't or can't accept this, then go home or go to Malaysia.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Buying property + home in Thailand : issues + guidelines