Thai spouse buying a condo

Thai spouse buying a condo

Postby col on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi, can anyone help regarding the buying of a condo by my thai wife of which only 20% of the building is foreign owned, the condo owner and the land office say i need to sign a document (as it is regarding buying land) stating that my wife is not buying it in proxy for me. As i could put the condo in my name anyway, why would i need to sign off on it, this doesn't make sense????
col

Re: Thai spouse buying a condo

Postby col on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:50 pm

thanks Rog but it's not the case, i struck lucky, she has more money than me, I want it in her name as i'm away a lot on business and it makes it easier signing for this and that. it's the land office and condo owner that are apparently adamant about it, so they're up to something or just idiots.
col

Postby Eric on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Col, this just don't made sense at all. First, regulation for condo and landed property are different. For condo, there is no land rights and foreigners can purchase. That your Thai wife is buying mades the transaction even more simplier. There's no need to sign anything, period. They are making this looks complicated so they can profit from it. Don't fall for it. :cheers:
Eric

Postby col on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

further investigation tells me that apparently it is Thai law, nothing to do with foreign spouse or signing it away, it's a statement to sign that one spouse knows what the other spouse is doing whether they be Thai or foreign.
Thanks for the input guys.
col

Postby teeton on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:00 pm

col wrote:further investigation tells me that apparently it is Thai law, nothing to do with foreign spouse or signing it away, it's a statement to sign that one spouse knows what the other spouse is doing whether they be Thai or foreign.
Thanks for the input guys.

Correct, along with other Thai laws regarding marriage and spouses, this is one of them I believe.
It's not about legality for real estate or buying Thai condominiums but rather a PR gig for the government to show they are prioritizing Thai families and couples to protect from bank account theft, cheating, etc when the news companies come around, or the next election.
teeton

Postby LuckySam on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 am

col wrote:Hi, can anyone help regarding the buying of a condo by my thai wife of which only 20% of the building is foreign owned, the condo owner and the land office say i need to sign a document (as it is regarding buying land) stating that my wife is not buying it in proxy for me. As i could put the condo in my name anyway, why would i need to sign off on it, this doesn't make sense????

Hi Col,

I have the same question. My wife is Thai and I am wondering about this. I hope someone can help. Or maybe there is another website that could help.
LuckySam

Return to Buying property + home in Thailand : issues + guidelines