The recent explosion of an iPhone 5 owned by a Thai user was caused by a small screw found stuck under the device’s battery tray, according to an investigation supervised by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) and concluded on Tuesday.
NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasit said the presence of the screw was a mystery, since it was not one of the iPhone 5’s orginal parts. It penetrated into the phone’s battery and caused a short circuit, leading to the explosion, he said
A video by MCOT displayed the phone after the explosion.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.