Easy English news
Microsoft's Surface reaches Thailand
- Published: 6/06/2013 at 11:09 AM
- Online news:
Microsoft’s Surface tablet computer has finally reached Thailand with models available for both consumers and businesses.
Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Photo by Pawat Laopaisarntaksin
Microsoft's Surface reaches Thailand
Microsoft, the world's largest software maker, debuted its Surface tablet in the Thai market on Wednesday to create a new revenue stream to offset declining software licensing income.
Surface also launched in 28 other countries.
Microsoft is introducing two tablet models: Surface RT, a consumer tablet, and Surface Pro, an enterprise tablet.
Surface RT retails at 16,500 baht for a 32-GB model and 22,500 baht for a 54-GB capacity unit. Surface Pro is priced at 28,000 baht for a 64-GB model and 31,500 baht for a 128-GB model.
Haresh Khoobchandani, managing director of Microsoft (Thailand), said Bangkok Bank and Chiang Mai University already use Microsoft's tablets.
The company has seen over 100 million downloads of its Windows 8 since its launch, he added.
Microsoft appointed SIS Distribution as an authorised distributor for its tablet.
Jarit Sidhu, an analyst for IDC Thailand, a leading research firm, said Thailand is the biggest tablet market in Southeast Asia, followed by Indonesia.
Tablet sales in Thailand are expected to reach 3.5 million units this year, excluding the government's one-tablet-per-child project.
Of the total, sales of Android-based tablets are expected to account for a 70% share, with Apple's iOS tablet taking the remaining 30%.
To compete with other tablet players, Mr Sidhu said Microsoft needs to provide a variety of applications and content.
debut – to introduce a product or service to the public for the first time วางตลาดหรือเปิดตัวสินค้า
revenue – income from business activities or taxes รายได้
revenue stream – a method by which incomes comes into a company, e.g., the sale of a particular product or service
offset – to balance the effect of something, with the result that there is no advantage or disadvantage ชดเชย
decline – becoming less การลดลง
license – to give somebody official permission to do, own, or use something, in this case to sell or use software อนุญาต
income – money that someone gets from working or from investing money รายได้
launch – to start something เปิดโครงการ, เริ่มต้น, เริ่มทำ
consumer – someone who buys and uses goods and services ผู้บริโภค
enterprise – an organization, especially a business กิจการ, บริษัท,อุตสาหกิจ,วิสาหกิจ
retail – to sell directly to the public for their own use ขายปลีก
capacity – the total amount that can be contained ปริมาณสูงสุดที่จะรับได้
appoint – to choose someone officially for a job or responsibility แต่งตั้ง,ตั้งให้เป็น
authorised – given official permission to do something or for something to happen ได้รับอนุญาต
distributor – a person or company that supplies goods to shops/stores, etc ผู้ค้าส่ง, ผู้แทนจำหน่าย, ผู้แจกจ่าย
analyst – a person whose job involves examining facts or materials in order to give an opinion on them นักวิเคราะห์
research – a careful study of a subject, especially in order to discover new facts or information about it การวิจัย
firm – a business or company บริษัท
excluding – not including something ไม่รวม, แยกออกไป
variety – many different types of things or people ความหลากหลาย
application (app) – a program designed to do a particular job; a piece of software โปรแกรมใช้งาน, โปรแกรมคอมพิวเตอร์
Related search: Microsoft Surface
About the author
- Writer: Terry Fredrickson
Position: Education Marketing and Support Manager