DTAC offers reader app | Bangkok Post: tech

Tech >

DTAC offers reader app

- +

Total Access Communication (DTAC), the country's second-largest mobile operator, is introducing a digital reading application. 

Readever provides 1,000 titles from 30 book publishers for iOS devices, with plans for Android in the near future.

The Readever application is aimed at capitalising on growing sales of e-books in Thailand, thanks in part to the availability of third-generation (3G) commercial services and the proliferation of tablets.

Pakorn Pannachet, senior vice-president and marketing head of DTAC, said e-book sales will account for up to 4% of Thailand's conventional book market in 2014, up from 0.5% of a market worth 2.4 billion baht now.

In developed countries such as Japan and South Korea, the e-book market makes up 35% and 25% of the total, respectively.

Mr Pakorn said e-book sales in Thailand are expected to skyrocket by 800% this year. Readever provides 1,000 titles from 30 book publishers for iOS devices, with plans to include Android devices in the near future.

The app allows users to share sound bites, a short clip of speech or music extracted from a longer piece of audio, and create their own reading community. Users can also write their own e-books on the app.

Users can download a series of exclusive books from celebrities free of charge.

"We expect to have at least 100,000 downloads by year-end," said Mr Pakorn.

He said DTAC predicts 700,000 potential e-book readers.

Mr Pakorn said book owners will receive 70% of the e-book cost while the remaining 30% will go to Apple's App Store. DTAC will gain by adding customers to its data tariff plans.

Bangkok Post online classifieds

Try buying & selling goods and properties 24/7 in our classifieds which has high purchasing power local & expatriate audience from within Thailand and around the world.

0 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments