The first expansion for StarCraft II, already a stalwart of video game tournaments, is to be released on March 12 2013 across Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and on Mac.
'StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm' is due March 12, 2013. ©All rights reserved - Activision Blizzard
Where the 2010 release StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty followed the evolutionary exploits of series veteran Jim Raynor, its 2013 counterpart Heart of the Swarm places narrative focus upon ex-antagonist Sarah Kerrigan and her attempts to regain control of her alien faction.
That acts as backdrop to what is essentially a fast-paced and multi-layered game of strategy and dexterity, and one whose multiplayer mode sees competitors engage in a bid to bluff and out-wit each other, commissioning and commanding a variety of military units in a struggle for supremacy.
Heart of the Swarm's release date places it just a week after the long-awaited Windows and Mac game SimCity, while Company of Heroes 2, another real-time strategy game with a rich history, is also expected in March 2013.
Latest stories in this category:
- Game on
- Top games on sale for all-new PlayStation 4
- Gamers queue for 'Call of Duty' latest
- 'Call of Duty' videogame sales top $1 bn in first day
- Novel-based game is numero uno
- Sony aims at gamers with new PlayStation 4 console
- Gamers snap up first deliveries of PS4 game console
- PS4 sales surpass 1m units in a day