
PHUKET: Shelters were designated and stranded tourists evacuated from several islands on Friday as Phuket prepared for the arrival of tropical storm Pabuk.
Governor Pakkapong Taweepat said on Friday that 38 locations had been prepared as shelters - in Muang, Thalang and Kathu districts. They could accommodate more than 22,000 people.
People on the island had been advised to prepare to move to shelters if necessary, he said.
All shipping had been ordered to stay in port until midnight Saturday.
Pabuk reached Pak Phanang district in Nakhon Si Thammarat early on Friday afternoon and was moving on a northwesterly track toward Surat Thani. It is expected to move into the Andaman Sea on Saturday.
Rain fell across Phuket province on Friday and small waves were building up offshore. The Meteorological Department forecast torrential rain and gusty winds for the Andaman coast throughout Saturday.
On Friday, the marine and coastal resources office sent boats to evacuate 120 tourists stranded on Koh Racha to the main island.
The commander of Navy Region 3, Vice Adm Sitthiporn Maskasem, on Friday ordered HTMS Huahin to escort a vessel collecting tourists wanting to leave Koh Phi Phi in Krabi to Phuket. They were expected to arrive in Phuket about 8pm.
A patrol ship, Tor 991, was also on the way to evacuate tourists on Koh Racha Yai island, he added.